Tuesday 13 October 2015

5 Tips on How to Start a Blog

I have just recently release my 100th post, (I know, where has the time gone?!) and I think it's about time I released some tips on how to start a blog. These are my personal tips and what really helped me to actually get to this stage after one and a half years.



1) Background research
So just like any old research project that you want to do well in, you gotta know what's out there first. So if you want to start a blog, surf the net and check out a few blogs. Think about your favourite blogger/author and why are they so good at what they do. I put up a blog recommendations a while back, and to me, these people are pretty awesome in the way that they write; they are clear, concise and have a point. So get your notepad ready to jot down on what style/approach you would like to achieve on your new blog. Even now, when I have a bit of free time, I evaluate how I want my blog to sound and look. I think constant evaluation is the key to progression.

2) Consistency
This is a big one to me, I love bloggers who update regularly because then I have something new to read! I update my blog once a week and have done for the past year and a half (with two exceptions). I think commitment, when you are writing a blog, is important because I think it says a lot about the type of person you are, obviously if life has just creeped up on you it's okay to miss a deadline or two, but it's the getting yourself back on the wagon that is the important thing. As long as you have the drive to get back to blogging then I think you'll do well!


3) Advertisement 
So if you want readers, you need to put yourself out there. It really took me a while to jump on board and truly advertise myself and honestly, it's made a whole lot of difference to the amount of views I get. Firstly, joining Bloglovin' is a must, because it's a nice way to read blogs in one go. Social media platforms like Twitter and Instagram are also really handy tools because hash tags make it really easy to search for a category. Another way to advertise is to read other peoples blogs and comment and they will most likely do the same for you - it's tit for tat. 

4) Gets some posts idea down
With maintaining a blog, it can be difficult at times because you just hit a brick wall and don't know what to blog about next. It you update regularly, you'll find that this happens a lot! So preplanning is your best bet, I have a list of idea's that I want to do in the future, from reviews to lifestyle posts and even some book related content. Writing a list honestly saves so much hassle because then you won't do a post halfheartedly, you know you wanted to talk about a topic anyway and so you finally get a chance to do so. In my opinion, reviews are the easiest thing to write when I'm in a hurry, because I already know how I feel about a product. So if you are a beauty blogger and you are short of time, think of some products to review! Also if you are starting a blog, then preplan your first few posts so it's not like you are jumping straight into the deep end! 

5) Be yourself
It's easy to go ahead and copy from someone else, or write the same review as another person but what people really want is a different perspective. I read a wide range of reviews and blogs because I am interested in their thoughts and if they were all writing the same thing, well then I would be sure to cut down on how many blogs I read. Doing what you want to do is vital, especially since there are so many blogs out there it's hard to stand out, so be original and don't be afraid to put what you really think out there because there is bound to be someone who agrees with you. I write like this because this is how I speak in real life and I want my readers to feel as though they are speaking to me in person. Being yourself makes blogging much easier and more like having a chat than writing an essay. At least that's what works for me!

I hope this has been useful to anyone who is looking to start a blog, when I first started, it was really spontaneous and that's really unlike me. I wish I knew how to advertise myself sooner, because it has really made a difference to the kinds of readers I get!

Follow me on Bloglovin' to see more of my posts if you enjoyed this one! I would also love to see if you with have any more tips to add in the comments below! 
Share:

No comments

Post a Comment

Blog Design Created by pipdig