Monday 9 January 2017

5 Tips: How To Maintain Healthy Nails

So I've always considered myself quite lucky to have nails that grow fast. However for the past four years I have been actively maintaining my nails, and I wanted to share my top tips and tricks for how to keep your nails in the best shape.




1) File to Shape
So I hardly ever really cut my nails, I only reach for my nail clippers if I have seriously neglected my nails that they have grown so long and eventually broken into a variety of shapes and sizes. I think we need to start from scratch sometimes and file our nails down to all have the same shape. When I first did this I was left with seriously short nails but they were all the same shape and size and just looked a lot more pleasing. Additionally, nails are easier to maintain when they are shorter as they are less likely to break and chip. So every week you can begin to file where you need to file, and in no time you'll have longer nails that are the same shape!
























2) Identify your problems
This is a weird one, but I think we all have a problem point when it comes to nails; you may bite your nails, wear so much nail polish that you are suffering from nail yellowing, or have nails that break easily. The list goes on and on. So if you suffer from biting your nails, perhaps invest in those bitter nail polishes. If you are suffering from yellowing nails, then I suggest taking a break from nail polish, because it's always good to air your nails out! If you have nails that break easily, it might be good to file them a bit shorter so that you can focus on making your nails a bit stronger.

3) Moisturise!
So I've recently done a post all about hand creams, I think it's good to keep your hands moisturised as they are one of the areas of your body that shows the signs of aging first. When adding hand cream, it's easier to massage your cuticles, and push them back. My favourite hand cream for when I am doing my nails is the  Sanctuary Spa Velvety Hand Cream (£3.00/30ml), it's super luxurious formula and leaves a super subtle but lovely scent behind. 























4) Avoid too much water
Drinking lots of water is good, however exposing your nails to lots of water isn't the best thing. Have you guys ever noticed that when you finish washing the dishes or coming out of a long shower that your nails are bendy? So if you are prone to nails that snap off for what seems like no reason, this might be something to look out for. Also avoid filing your nails when they are still wet, your nails are at it's weakest, and you are probably doing more damage than good.

5) Invest in treatments
Sometimes we all need put in a bit more effort to maintain our nails. This may be investing in nail hardeners, if you have brittle nails, or cuticle oil if your cuticles are hard to manage. I remember when I suffered from yellowing nails, I bought a base coat because I didn't want to stop wearing nail polish, and low and behold, my nails returned back to their usual colour. It's normally the small, simple steps we miss out that can have an effect on our nail health the most. Diet and water is important, and this should probably be the first factor you look at. Another thing I like to do is to get my nails professionally manicured once in a while, because if the nail technician creates the shape I want, all I have to do is maintain it.

I hope this post was helpful for those of you who are having a bit of trouble maintaining the healthy nails you want! If you have any tips and tricks that I missed out then I would love for you to share in the comments below. Also be sure to follow me on Bloglovin to stay up to date with my posts!
Share:

No comments

Post a Comment

Blog Design Created by pipdig