Sunday 26 April 2020

Toners - Why I have Started Using Them.

If you spoke to me a few years ago, I would have completely dismissed the concept of toners, I thought it was an unnecessary step in you 'skincare regime'. Back in the day of cream cleansers, toners were actually necessary to ensure that makeup had been adequately removed from the skin - the 'second cleanse' from back in the day. Currently, we live in an age of oil and balm cleansers that can take off every single speck of make-up and so toners fell by the wayside. But recently, some brands have piqued my interest back into toners, and I have given it a second shot...





I am currently on my second bottle of the Garnier Organic Thyme Toner (150ml/ £5.99). This toner is so fresh on the skin and has Salicylic Acid, which was the major selling point for me. Salicylic acid is an ingredient that helps to prevent breakouts by chemically exfoliating deep in the pores of the skin. I've also tried a few different application methods, I used to pour the product out into some cotton wool, but I grew frustrated that the cotton wool was getting the majority of the product. I then switched to pouring the product directly onto my hands and patting it on my face, which was a greater improvement, finally I settled for moving the product into a spray bottle and so I spritz this onto my skin after it has been freshly washed and pat the residue onto my skin before starting my skincare regime. I highly recommend doing this as you get to use the all of the product and have more control on how much you use on application. I have found this product helpful when I have a few breakouts, as I find that this product helps calm and not make the situation worse. I have also noticed that the amount of time I am suffering from a breakout is also reduced which is great.





I've never really used Neutrogena products, however I was intrigued when I saw the Neutrogena Clear and Soothe Toning Facial Mist  (125ml/£5.99) which contains Turmeric. Turmeric is well known in Asia as  a brightening agent, when applied topically. It also has anti-inflammatory properties, and so is good for both the skin and also your diet too. I wasn't sure what I was expecting when I tried this product, but I did like the result. Firstly this product contains a spray bottle, which delivers a fine mist - so the negatives with the Garnier are not present here. There is a fragrance, however it is not too potent or unpleasant. Again I pat this into my skin and I have noticed that my skin is brighter and not angry. Sometimes I have a few breakouts, and it causes my skin to be slightly sensitive around that area, however since using this, my skin has felt more calmer. It's more of a feeling than a visible result, but nonetheless I do really like this product.

What I realised is that I like toners that add something to my routine, an ingredient that might help with my complexion or texture of my skin, so a bit like a serum but in smaller doses. I alternate between these two toners depending on my skin which I have been enjoying doing in the last month.

If there are any toners that you particularly like, I would love to hear about them, so leave a comment below! If you would like to read more posts then be sure to follow me on Bloglovin to stay up to date! 
Share:

No comments

Post a Comment

Blog Design Created by pipdig