Monday 27 July 2015

How To Care For Your Hair

Although I seem to go on and on about makeup and skincare, haircare was actually my first love when I was a young teen, I used to straighten my hair for school before I realised that super thin straight hair doesn't actually look that great on me. Regrets - don't we all have them. Luckily for me, I got used to caring for my hair when I started to damage it, so I've learned a few tricks that I really wanted to share with you all.


1) Reducing Heat
I bet if you are a girl, you are used to damaging your hair in all sorts of different ways, from hairdryers to curlers and everything in between. Using heat protection is always needed, but what really does help me and my spilt ends is reducing the amount of heat I use. I hardly ever touch my hair with straighteners anymore, I actually straighten my hair with my hairdryer using a brush to distribute the heat evenly. This has really helped my hair, it still gets straightened, however it's a lot thicker and my ends look healthy because they aren't getting burned by two ceramic plates. 
Another way to reduce heat is to not wash your hair as often - dry shampoo is my best friend (Batiste is my favourite brand) and I think preplanning your hair look is the way to go, so that you aren't stuck in the morning with semi-greasy hair wondering what you should do!

2) Conditioning
No matter if your hair is dry or if it is oily, everyone needs to condition their hair to protect it. My favourite quick way to condition my hair is to apply hair oils overnight and then wash it out the next morning, so I don't have to spend more time in the shower applying a hair mask. Loads of brands sell these kinds of oils, I usually prefer to use Argan Oil because I think it is more nourishing.
Make your own deep conditioning night spray: by mixing your conditioner with some water and pouring the solution into a clear spray bottle!

3) Shampoo
With all these tips, your hair will probably be full of nice things, from heat protection to oils and so removing it effectively is also necessary as a build up of these products can cause the hair to become greasier faster. I would recommend using a cleansing shampoo once a week to fully cleanse your hair. Lush do a great one called I Love Juicy  (£5.50/100g) and although it costs quite a bit, if you use it once a week it does last a fair while. A cheaper alternative is to use a really cheap shampoo, like ASDA's own brand, as they are generally very cleansing and will make your hair squeaky clean. 
Changing up your shampoo is also something I would recommend doing as your hair gets used to using the same shampoo. I usually own three shampoos at one given time, which seems excessive but I have one for cleansing, one that's more nourishing (for days where I have to forego the conditioner), and a standard one for normal days.

What I like about hair maintenance is that it really doesn't take that long to do if you incorporate it into a routine.
Do you have any other tips on haircare? I would love to find out!
Follow me on Bloglovin' to keep up to date with my weekly posts!
Share:

No comments

Post a Comment

Blog Design Created by pipdig