Saturday 22 November 2014

Chai Recipe - From an Indian

Hey guys, 
So I have been meaning to do this post for a while and it is my Chai recipe! Who doesn't know about Chai nowadays? It's literally everywhere and there are so many variations of it but I honestly prefer the real Indian style Chai rather than anything Starbucks has to offer. 
This is the recipe that I use and it's quick and easy and just what it is supposed to be. 


Top Clockwise: Carom Seeds, Fennel, Cardomom pods, Ginger.
Middle: PG Tips Tea bag

Ingredients (one person): 
2 Tablespoons of Fennel seeds
1 Tablespoon of Carom seeds
3-5 Cardamom pods
A few pieces of Ginger or a Cinnamon stick
1 Tea Bag (I like PG Tips)

Optional:
Milk
Sugar





Recipe
1) Get the mug that you will be using and fill it up to the top with cold water. Put the water in a pan and put it on the stove. 
2) While the water is heating up put the Fennel seeds, Carom seeds and Tea bag in to brew. Open the Cardamom pods by using a pestle and mortar or by using a knife and add the Cardamom seeds which come out and the pods too. Since we are straining it all out in the end, it doesn't matter if we keep the Cardamom shell in the water.
3) Either add pieces of ginger or a cinnamon stick. The ginger is good for uplifting and detoxifying the body while the cinnamon is good at warming the body up (a good choice for Christmas and late nights). I used the ginger today. Ginger and Cinnamon are both strong flavours - that's why I like to use one or the other. 
4) Once this has all boiled then add milk. I like to make the tea go a medium to light brown colour and then I wait for it to boil again.
5) Once it has boiled then strain into a mug, add sugar to your liking (I use 2 teaspoons) and then it is ready!




See! It's super easy and literally takes me 5 minutes. Also if you usually like to have your tea black and with no sugar then it's ready for you when it has boiled the first time. It's totally customisable to what you like - I prefer cinnamon to ginger but I enjoy both. Also I know it's hard to find Carom seeds so it's okay if you don't use it but if you can get a hold of it then be sure to buy it cause it tastes great!In India they serve it with lots of milk and lots of sugar so I would recommend trying the entire recipe first just so you know what it tastes like in India. 
And there you have it - I hope you give it a try, you won't regret it :)
Thanks for reading, 
Anjna
Share:

No comments

Post a Comment

Blog Design Created by pipdig